Thursday 8 August 2013

Cabbage moong dal

Feeling a little inspired from my earlier two experiments in the kitchen, today morning I tried my third , fortunately this one also turned out good :)


I had heard about a similar dish from a friend and I thought I will try to create on my own ( without trying on dear darling google for an authentic recipe ) 

So for my version of moong dal with cabbage, you need :

Split moong dal : 1/2 cup
Cabbage : half head
Onion :  1 small
Curry leaves : 8-10
Ginger : grated or chopped -1/3 tea spoon 
Black mustard seeds : 1/2 teaspoon
Salt : to taste
Turmeric powder : 1/4 teaspoon 
Oil: 1 teaspoon 

Soak moong dal overnight (10-12 hrs) , drain and leave it in sieve so there is no water left.
Finely shred cabbage head
Finely chop onion
Heat oil in a wok on medium heat
When it's hot , add mustard seeds, curry leaves , ginger.  sauté for 30 seconds 
Add shredded cabbage , sauté for a minute now  turn down the heat to low.
Add moong dal , turmeric, sauté for further one minute .
Cover the wok and let it cook for 10 mins on lowest heat level, mix it once in a while so it does not stick, avoid adding water.
After 10 mins , everything should be cooked , but still a bit crunchy. Add salt now and remove cover and cook for a minute (Adding salt at the end ensures that cabbage retains its texture and doesn't become soggy)

Serve as a side dish , or as breakfast dish.
Since I had a bit of onion growing in the pot I used its leaves for garnishing ( completely optional ) 








No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews